Main Responsibilities of the Bureau of Science and Technology ofMunicipality:
1. Implementing guidelines, policies, laws, regulations and codes formulated by governments at central, provincial and municipal levels on the development of science and technology as well as promoting economic and social development with them; formulating, examining and implementing local laws, regulations and measures on the city’s development of science and technology and reform of scientific mechanism.
2. Studying key issues on promoting economic and social development with science and technology; studying and nominating major arrangements and priority fields of the city’s development of science and technology with departments concerned; organizing and promoting the construction of scientific innovation mechanism and scientific service mechanism; optimizing the distribution of scientific resources; participating in the evaluation and decision-making of inter-departmental and interdisciplinary projects or introduced projects crucial to economic and social development.
3. Drawing up and implementing long-term, medium-term targets and annual plan for the development of science and technology in coordination with other departments; outlining and executing scientific plans such as Major Scientific Breakthrough Scheme, Flame Plan, Spark Program, Achievement Promotion Plan, Soft-Science Research Scheme, Applied Fundamental Research Program and so on; drawing up and carrying out, with departments concerned, the program of the establishment of Engineering Technology Research and Development Center as well as the plan of the construction of major laboratories.
4. Studying and proposing measures of increasing scientific investment through various channels; administering budget, settlement of scientific funds such as Scientific Undertaking Fee, “Three Fees”for Scientific Technology and Special Fund for Science and Technology as well as supervising and managing financing of funds.
5. Deepening the industrialization of Hi-tech and strengthening the development and promotion of applied technologies; providing instruction to the development of Hi-tech industries within the city, promoting the alteration of traditional industries into Hi-tech industries, software industry and informationization, providing instruction to the construction of Hi-tech zones and various kinds of scientific bases, promoting scientific progress in areas such as agriculture and social development, providing instruction to the transformation of scientific achievements.
6. Administering scientific achievement, scientific encouragement, scientific confidentiality, technology market, managing scientific information, scientific publicity and scientific statistics; and promoting the development of scientific consultancy and evaluation agents.
7. Organizing scientific cooperation and communication with other countries, managing the introduction of scientific projects, and dealing with verification and approval of relevant foreign affairs in scientific cooperation.
8. Administering and providing instructions to the macro-control of privately-run scientific enterprises; promoting the development of privately-run scientific enterprises, and providing instructions to the organization work of the scientific sector.
9. Providing instructions to the coordination and management of the scientific work of all departments of the city, all districts as well as counties; managing scientific publication of the city, formulating scientific publication program, promoting the development of scientific publication, and organizing the continuing education for people working in the scientific sector.
10. Administering its affiliated units, and providing instructions to the scientific work of researching institutes.
11. Undertaking other tasks assigned by the municipal government and science and technology departments at higher levels.
Add: No. 1, Fuqian Road, Guangzhou,, PC 510032
Tel: 83570985, 83491531